Have you heard about
Winterhaven Woods yet?
“It creates this feeling…you know when you’re walking in the woods, and it’s crisp but not cold, and it’s sunny but it’s not summer, and it’s just quiet and calm? You feel like that when you play this game, I promise.”
- Jim Cohen www.whatboardgame.com
The problem with buying a game off of Kickstarter is there are no reviews to help guide your decision. In this case it was a really good one. Winterhaven Woods is a simple, well thought out game that still requires some strategy. It's easy to figure out yet requires you to think as much about what your opponents are doing as what you want to do. I like the fact that you can steal cards from your opponents but get penalized if you abuse that privilege. Also, the artwork is wonderful. I just wish they would sell some Winterhaven Woods themed placemats to help you lay out your cards while playing.
Such a chill game. Simple. Deep. Playing Winterhaven Woods is like a guided meditation.
Great card game, awesome graphics and a well thought through theme. Gameplay is quick and whilst there is an element of take that, I really like the nastiness penalty. Take advantage in the game a few too many times and when it comes to final scoring you could loose out big time... One of our personal favourites.
Fun and easy to learn. Our game night group loved it as well! One of our group made an army of hedgehogs every round, and ended up winning. Such a fun game, and I can't wait till my kids are old enough to play too.
I have mostly played this with my 6 year old daughter who loves the cards and can understand the game at the most basic setup. It can also get very complicated depending on how you play it, so the game has an impressive age range. We haven’t even broken into the Kickstarter expansion cards yet. I am impressed both by the games as well as the frequent updates on Kickstarter.
This game was exactly what I was looking for: a fun and easy to teach card game with lovely art. I have a lot of friends and family that are limited in their gaming experience and this game has been perfect to get them interested.
Winterhaven Card Game, is a fantastic game, for the whole family. Young and old. We love it.
Fast, fun, and some complexity.
The way the game is designed, there is rarely a point when you are waiting on another player to complete their turn. This made it perfect for some of my fellow gamers who hate the “downtime” that most strategy games have.
Beautiful artwork, a nice straightforward ruleset, and enough depth to make the game interesting and fun. Did I mention it’s a great travel size?
Very happy to have been a backer!
We played it a few days after it arrived and it has become a quick staple. We've played a few variants with the expansion and love it even more. Quick game play with reliability.
We, as a whole family, love this game!
Just started playing this game recently and it's already my favorite short strategy game! Great depth of strategy and player interaction combined with card drafting packed into 20 minutes, tough to beat!
Winterhaven Woods caught my eye as a casual game I could play with my wife, who is not into more hardcore board games, and my young nieces and nephew. While I haven't gotten to play it with my nieces and nephew yet, my wife loves it! I enjoy that, while having very simple rules, there's a subtle strategy that keeps it interesting, for me. I love the art, and the interaction with Joel, through kickstarter, has been fantastic! I would recommend this game to any family looking to up their family game nights.
Winterhaven Woods is an absolutely beautiful card game. The art work is so unique and elegant, and the gameplay is simple yet requires moderate thoughtfulness. I play most of my games at 2P or solo, so I only have experiences at these levels. I’m sure the game would do excellent at higher player counts, as this would allow for a wider selection of cards and more player interaction with thief and hunter cards.
The game can play extremely quickly, which is fine, but I prefer longer gameplay which allows for more cards to be played. I’m glad the rulebook comes with variations on playing the game, and even a section to write down your own house rules.
Regarding the production value, it is pretty impressive - especially considering it is a card game. The box is small, but unique - the magnet snapping lid is such an amazing touch and makes this game stand out; the charm of the game continues on the inside of the box, as you don’t get the typical, boring cardboard interior.
This is a great, lightweight game that has very little setup and is easy to learn, and easy to teach. I highly recommend it!
I love playing this game in solitaire mode as it is so simple, quick and rewarding. It also presents a challenge as those pesky predators can really get the upper hand quickly. I've played with my 6-year old daughter, too, and she enjoyed it, but she still needs quicker more exciting plays at her age (I think in a year or so it will be a real winner for her, too!). Great product quality, too! Thanks Featherstone Games!
Browse Featherstone's Family Strategy Games
- Quick playing: Most games take less than 25 min and the changing Ocean cards means there is always something new to pay attention to!
- Great for families: Open Ocean's layered complexity makes it highly accessible for new and casual players, without sacrificing strategy!
- Positive player interaction: Competitive play that is focused on indirect player interaction mean more cheers, and less tears!
- Endless possibilities!: 84 unique illustrations, and variety and flexibility in creating your reef means that each player's reef is unique every game!
"Featherstone Games have been a huge hit with my 9-year-old. She is loving them and loving beating up her old man everyday when we play over lunch!"
Joel W. - USA
How To Bring The Fun Back To family Games
Order a Featherstone for the fam
Rediscover Your Love For Strategy Games
Be the Hero of Family Game Time Again!
PLAYERS ALL OVER THE WORLD LOVE OPEN OCEAN!:
"After our first play of Open Ocean we LOVED IT! We are big fish fans and our 6 year old can't wait for our Aquariums to open again. In the meantime, she beat both my husband and I, stealing our most valuable fish!"
Pascale, United Kingdom
“I was waiting for this game with high anticipations and it is exactly what I hoped it would be! It is a super accessible, family-friendly game I can play with my kids, yet provides enough ways of strategizing that I can also play this with hardcore gamers as well as my father-in-law."
“After a couple of games with the family the verdict is in:
Open Ocean is AWESOME!”
Will, New Zealand
Want to Learn More About Featherstone Family Games
Open Ocean is a reef building card game for 1-5 players that combines the dynamics of drafting, with the puzzle-y creative strategy of tile placement. Players love that it is:
- Quick playing: Most games take less than 25 min and the ever shifting cards in the Ocean means there is always something new to pay attention to!
- Great for Families!: Layered complexity makes it perfect for getting players of varying ages and skill levels to the table.
- Positive player interaction: Competitive play that is focused on indirect player interaction makes it highly accessible for new and casual gamers! (less fighting, more playing)
- Endless possibilities! : 84 unique illustrations, and variety and flexibility in how you create your reef means that every players reef is unique every game!
Winterhaven Woods is a strategic card game that combines the excitement of drafting with the strategy of set collection and a dash of light player interaction.
- Score points by collecting sets of trees to create woodland homes for your critters to populate for the winter!
- Add additional points each round by using your predators to hunt critters left exposed in your opponent’s meadows!
- Strategically balance stealing critters from your opponents woods and meadow, adding them to your own, but being careful not to use too many else you’ll take a penalty.
- Earn extra bonuses based on how well you were able to craft your winter woodland!
At the end of three rounds everyone totals up their points and bonuses, and the player with the highest score wins!